26 Aug – From now to 18th September 2022, the BMW Shorties – Malaysia's most prestigious and longest running short film and digital content competition – is showcasing a collection of BMW Shorties films from the years of 2011 through to 2019 on Astro GO, celebrating Malaysian film and digital content creative talents.
Sashi Ambi, Head of Corporate Communications at BMW Group Malaysia said, "The BMW Shorties, the creative initiative by BMW Group Malaysia that discovers and supports local content creators here returns in 2022! The programme recognises visionary local talents in their creative career journeys which in turn, inspires us as a brand that shares these same values in the field of innovation and creativity."
"This collaboration with Astro is very timely, especially with the Merdeka and Hari Malaysia celebrations taking place, demonstrating that this Malaysian home-grown creative initiative is still a driving force in celebrating local talents and is an inspiration to all in the creative field here, sharing the many talents Malaysia has to offer," said Ambi.
Sharmin Parameswaran, Vice President of VOD/PPV & International at Astro said, "As the leading content and entertainment company in Malaysia, we strongly believe in delivering content and stories that uniquely resonate with our local landscape. As we approach this very significant time of the year together as Malaysians, we are delighted to be able to work with the BMW Shorties to showcase the works of talented local filmmakers and digital content creators to a wider Malaysian audience. In a way, it is a celebration of our heritage, as we showcase these stories, crafted through the lens of our shared yet diverse experience as a nation."
The 30 BMW Shorties short films that are featured on Astro GO include:
1. Guang by Quek Shio Chuan
2. Murdered by Chua Dick Woei
3. Sid & Barry by Quek Shio Chuan
4. Hidup Bersama by Lau Ming Yeow
5. Putus by Muhammad Ezmeer Bin Abd Rahman
6. 32°C Fall In Love by Tan Seng Kiat
7. Pejam Pelik by Mohd Khairul Azri Md Noor
8. Rozita Binti Roslan by Taufiq Kamal
9. Fish by Gan Yu Long
10. Koci 5 Ringgit by Khairul Azaharuddin bin Ariffin
11. Gigi by Audrie Yeo
12. Short & Sweet by Balachandran S.K. Sivalingam
13. TUCK by Gordon Ling Fu Chur
14. Terminal by Caston J
15. Hawa by Tan Ce Ding
16. Roundabout by Liew Yew Yin
17. Never Was The Shade by Lim Kean Hian
18. SELAM 2.0 by Lor Yew Mien
19. Desakan Dewasa by Johanna Johan Ariffin
20. Touch by Wilson Tai
21. Gold! There is Gold in the River by Mallory Lee
22. Colourless by Ananth Subramaniam
23. Burn by Ng Kwok Yong
24. Handbag by Mohd Khairul Anuar
25. Kampung Aman by Sherwynn Victor and Michael Lourdes
26. PACE by Ekin Charles,
27. Di Sini Aku by Putri Purnama Sugua
28. Ralat the Musical by Khairi Anwar
29. Pemburungan by Chulat
30. SATU by John Hafiz
In addition to the special showcase of these BMW Shorties short films on Astro GO, the BMW Shorties is also making its highly-anticipated return for its 16th year running - with the 2022 theme, "RE:IMAGINE"!
The competition aims to provide a platform for emerging filmmakers and digital content creators to express their creativity, and the grand prize winner of the BMW Shorties will once again be awarded a production grant of RM 80,000 to produce a BMW Shorties-funded short film.
More details will be revealed in the coming weeks, so for all aspiring creators and fans out there, do keep an eye out on the official BMW Shorties Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BMWShorties and Instagram account at www.instagram.com/bmwshorties