The 21st edition of Le French Festival is launched
9 May – The Alliances Françaises de Malaisie in Kuala Lumpur and Penang launched the 21st edition of Le French Festival (LeFF 2023) yesterday!
Set to take place for a month from 25 May to 25 June, LeFF 2023 will invite its audiences to jump into an immersive cultural experience, made up of performing arts, visual arts, gastronomy, music and a wide range of contemporary French movies.
Travelling from West to East Malaysia, LeFF 2023 will tour across four different cities starting from Kuala Lumpur, to then take over Penang, Johor Bahru and lastly Kuching, for its premiere in Sarawak.
This year's festival is presented by L'Oréal Paris, and co-organised by the Alliances Françaises in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and Penang) and the Embassy of France in Malaysia along with their long-standing partners and collaborators, Golden Screen Cinemas and Martell. Gold sponsor Cartier is supporting the event for the second consecutive year.
(L-R) Mr Luca Griseri, Vice President of the Alliance Française de Penang; Ms Emmanuelle Marchand, Counsellor for Cooperation and Cultural Affairs at the Embassy of France in Malaysia; His Excellency Mr Axel Cruau, Ambassador of France to Malaysia; Ms Violaine Dupic, Director of Alliance Française of Kuala Lumpur and Ms Asma Manssouri, Cultural Officer from Alliance Française of Kuala Lumpur.
Movie-goers will have plenty to look out for with 15 French movies enriching GSC theatres' line-up, from comedy and thriller to drama and romance among many other genres. One of the flagship movies is an adaptation of "The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas, a milestone in French literature and cloak-and-dagger novels. After a very successful kick-off in France, the Malaysian release will be the movie's Asian premiere!
For the young ones, Le Petit Festival – the children's chapter of the festival launched in 2022 - will unfold at the Alliance Française de Kuala Lumpur and the Penang Public Library with exciting animated movies, storytelling sessions and concerts.
Alongside its substantial movie program, Le French Festival continues its scope's expansion with a wider variety of contemporary performances, exhibitions, and a special culinary journey:
● Get your hands in flour with PAUL's chefs and book your slot for a pastry or bakery workshop. Indulge in the taste of French delicacies as you admire the colourful artworks displayed at Champignons and Delia Wines with Gallery des Artistes. Elevate your French dining experiences at participating restaurants Entier, Nathalie Gourmet Studio and Le Gourmandin.
● Experience a unique exhibition and live painting act by French painter and performer Vaultman in collaboration with local musicians Mei Lin Hii (piano) & John Thomas (drums), where you will witness two exceptional art forms under one roof at The Godown.
● Cercle, a solo dance performance brought to you by Ole Khamchanla from the KHAM Company, questions through movement the crossroads of Eastern and Western cultures.
● Let's groove and sway along during the Fete de la musique which will explore a new format: a two-fold musical journey starting at The Godown during the day and across Chinatown at night to discover a diversity of genres and artists.
● Join LeFF 2023's first-ever French-Malaysian duo, Lorraine Thiria and Nadirah Zakariya, as they come together to explore the power of photography to reveal the beauty in the ordinary at AFKL.
His Excellency Mr Axel Cruau, Ambassador of France to Malaysia giving a speech
His Excellency Mr Axel Cruau, Ambassador of France to Malaysia said during the press conference, "The 2022 edition was the edition of renewal after covid, and it was a resounding success. The 2023 edition will do even more to highlight the best of French culture and share it with our friends all over Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Johor Bahru, and to a new location: Kuching!"
Festival enthusiasts can look forward to Le French Festival 2023 at the below cities and dates:
● Kuala Lumpur: 25 May - 11 June
● Penang: 8 June - 18 June
● Johor Bahru: 15 June - 18 June
● Kuching: 22 June - 25 June
To find out more about the 21st Le French Festival including movie showtimes, click HERE.
Cinema Online, 09 May 2023