Koh Mei Lee (GSC CEO), H.E Roland Galharague (Ambassador of France to Malaysia) and Tengku Zatashah Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah (President of Alliance Francaise de KL)
8 Jun – Malaysians, wait no further because it's time to get your French on! The highly anticipated 20th edition of Le French Film Festival (LFFF22) is finally here for us to immerse in all things that best represent the City of Lights with their array of French activities, which will be held from 9 - 26 June 2022 in Kuala Lumpur, and until 17 July in the rest of Malaysia.
Organised by Alliance Française de Kuala Lumpur, Alliance Française de Penang and the Embassy of France in Malaysia, festival-goers from all walks of life will have the opportunity to bring all five of their senses on a French adventure like no other! This year's festival features a variety of programmes that will excite cinephiles, theatre-lovers, music and gastronomy enthusiasts thanks to the array of award-winning French films, gastronomy offerings, fun workshops and more.
At the opening ceremony of the Festival at GSC Mid Valley Megamall yesterday, Tengku Zatashah binti Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, President of Alliance Française of Kuala Lumpur expressed her joy that yet after two years of lockdown, the team is all geared up to bring the excitement of the French Film Festival back into Malaysians' social calendar.
The Festival was launched at GSC Mid Valley Megamall
Media and guests
"After a two-year pandemic, we are pleased to be back once more to light up Malaysia with these festivities for all, including for the little ones with our "Le Petit Festival" - the first-ever programme which consists of six captivating and moving tales to be enjoyed. For those who prefer an evening of dining or exploring a theatrical performance, we are certain our line-ups this year will not disappoint," said Tengku Zatashah.
"This Festival is not only about bringing a selection of the best recent French movies to Malaysia, it is also an opportunity to share the French art-de-vivre and the passion that the French and the Malaysians have in common for gastronomy, music, theatre and art," said His Excellency Mr Roland Galharague, Ambassador of France to Malaysia who was also present at the opening ceremony.
Ms. Violaine Dupic, Director of Alliance Française of Kuala Lumpur shared that each edition of the festival aims to build bridges of mutual understanding and exchange, between France and Malaysia.
"Art is an invitation to travel to other horizons and an opening to the imagination. The French and French speaking culture, just like the Malaysian culture, has many facets, which make all its richness. We believe that the French Film Festival reflects this and promotes dialogue", mentioned Violaine.
Guests enjoying themselves at the Festival's launch
Malaysians can immerse themselves in activities encompassing performing and visual arts, music, gastronomy, and the most current trends and entertainment from France including:
- The largest Film Festival in Malaysia with 21 of the latest award-winning French films (with English subtitles), featuring the movie "Aline", a hilarious and touching biopic on world-famous singer Céline Dion, played and directed by French stand-up comedian Valérie Lemercier
- A brand new programme most notably designed for kids with Le Petit Festival
- "Les Arts de la Table", "Élans Radieux" and "Le Corbusier" – three exclusive exhibitions which will inspire you with their outstanding aesthetics and prime production
- Gastronomy-related workshops and events
- La Fête de la musique – a whole night of music for all tastes in the most joyful and upbeat atmosphere
- "Solstice Lunaire" – a unique multi-sensorial concert, bringing together three countries and continents: Malaysia, France and Colombia
- Electro Acoustic Latin Jazzy House Performance brought by No Black Tie – an energetic triof who will bring back to life old school jazz funk disco
This 20th edition of LFFF22 will reach over tens of thousands of enthusiasts from Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Johor Bahru and Kota Kinabalu. The dates are as follows:
- Kuala Lumpur : 9 June - 26 June
- Penang : 30 June - 10 July
- Johor Bahru : 7 July - 10 July
- Kota Kinabalu : 14 July - 17 July
Le French Film Festival 2022 is made possible with the support of Gold Sponsors, Cartier and Martell, and partner Golden Screen Cinemas and Cinema Online, as well as various sponsors and partners.
Cinema Online is proud to be an official partner of Le French Film Festival 2022, bringing our readers the latest updates, news and showtimes.
For movie showtimes and information, visit our Le French Film Festival 2022 page HERE.
Delightful hors d'oeuvres and drinks from sponsors and partners of LFFF22
Cinema Online, 08 June 2022