1 Sep – Following last weekend's unfortunate ventilation duct incident, Shaw Theatres Nex is now closed until further notice.
The temporary closure announcement was posted on Shaw Theatres' social media, along with the message: "We are shocked by the incident where the ventilation duct in Hall 6 at Shaw Theatres nex was dislodged around 4.45pm.
"We are also working with our landlord (Gold Ridge Pte Ltd) and the relevant authorities to investigate the circumstances thoroughly. The cinema will be closed until further notice."
The incident occurred last Sunday during the screening of "Tenet". The ventilation duct, weighing roughly 100kg, as per The New Paper's report, fell from the ceiling and injured two female moviegoers.
While one escaped with minor bruises, the other was badly hurt after being hit on her head by a large chunk of plastic debris.
19-year-old full-time national serviceman Sebastian Koo tended to the injured woman, while his friends called the Singapore Civil Defence Force and helped evacuate the hall. Around 50 patrons from the other halls were also evacuated.
The 20 patrons who were in Hall 6 was fortunate to escape mostly unharmed, with some of them suffering only minor scrapes from being hit by the debris. The vent, which fell onto three rows of seat, did not directly hit any of the cinemagoers.
(Photo source: InCinemas.sg Facebook | Shaw Theatres)